Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Mantle and Needed Input

It seems like summer has been here for months with all this hot weather we've been having, but the first day of Summer was actually only about 3 weeks ago.  I am still a little behind on getting my mantle decorated for the summer, but it's done for this year (except for 1 thing I just thought of) and I'm really liking it!

I decided I wanted a beachy theme for the summer and my mama supplied me with enough seashells to do mine and all of your mantles!  I am grateful for the free shells though and they look so pretty.  While at the wedding a couple weeks ago, we picked up some of the stones that can be found all along the beach.  I also got some sand and a few small pieces of drift wood.  I'll explain the rest as you look at the pictures AND please be sure read my question on one of the pics and give your input!

I know that I say "mantle" but it usually flows over to the top of this bookcase and sometimes the tv table as well.  The one thing I just thought about was changing out the picture to one of the three of us at the beach this past March or one of just AR on the beach.
For the wreath I found this one on Pinterest and copied it but I added a few more shells.  I did have to buy the starfish though, but it was something I really wanted on it.
The mantle w/out the light on.  My question is this:  Do you think that I should leave the wreath like it is or add some more shells in between the other "arms" of the starfish?"
This piece of driftwood is very neat and special.  My BIL, Andrew, made these for table center pieces at their wedding and was nice enough to let me have one.  I bought some flameless candles for it and at night it looks really pretty.

The two rocks hanging from the candles are also from the wedding and were used as napkin holders.  I found the "fish" bowl and other container at the dollar store and the shell was a souvenir brought back to me from a friend in elementary school.
 

These are some of the stones and sand we brought back from the beach where the wedding was held.
The two large pieces of drift wood are ones that William found and hand around the house.  I can't wait to add more to it as years go by.  After getting all of my "themes" done this year, I will be able to just add pieces here and there as I find them (on sale or in nature).  I figured I spend about $18-20 this year (wreath, candles, glass containers, grass, and starfish) which I don't think is too bad.  Now I just have to figure out how to store my wreathes throughout the year!

 I've already started my "fall" pinterest board!  Let me know if you have any ideas for it and don't forget your input on the summer wreath!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! You are so good with themed decorating. I think I would leave the wreath like it is .. less is more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. You should leave it!

    ReplyDelete