So I'm a little behind in the Radical book, about 2-3 chapters behind actually, but what's new with that?! The other week we discussed the chapter about giving to the needy and poor and it really hit a spot in me. I'm currently reading that same chapter in the book right now and feeling very convicted.
William and I are very good with our money. I don't say that to boast, but I know that we save and budget wisely. But I'm learning that isn't enough. I know that I said "our money" both we both know that it is really God's money... but when it comes to giving I sometimes forget this. We save for the future, we buy smartly... see a pattern... we, we, we. I want to really start praying and seeing where God wants us to give His money. I put this out there because I want to be held accountable for this. I think if I write it for others to see, then I will be more determined to do it.
For a long time, I've felt strongly about helping the poor, but I rarely do it. This past July in DC, a man need 60 something cents to get his metro card paid to go where ever it was he was going. I didn't do anything and I felt totally guilty. I know people say you shouldn't give money b/c they might buy drugs, alcohol, etc with it, but there are times when we just have to trust others with not our money, but God's money. If they spend it on that crap, then it's on their hands and not ours. Of course we should pray about what they do with the money we give them. Yesterday, while checking out at BiLo, the cashier asked me if I'd like to buy a meal for the homeless. Once again, I didn't do it and I felt guilty afterwards. There I was buying food to make meals for the next two weeks and I couldn't buy ONE meal for the homeless. Now, I do like to know for sure where and how the money I give is being spent, but I could have just trusted God to use it for His glory.
I plan to really start praying about where I can give or what I can give up in my life so that I can give more to the poor. I once heard a speaker say that for every time salvation is mentioned in the bible, helping the poor is mentioned 3 times!! God so desires for us to help the needy and I don't do a good job... at all! This has really been on my heart lately. This past week, I donated clothes, books, stuff that we didn't want anymore to a thrift store called SOS. I researched and found out that they support some missionaries and homeless places. I felt much better giving my items to them and knowing how the money that they make would be spent.
Giving money isn't easy for me, I'll admit it. It's something I need to and will pray about. We tithe like we're suppose to but we've already factored that into our budget and therefore it doesn't really hurt. When I do give more money, it's often from our "excess" and that isn't right. In Radical, David Platt states, "We are fine with thinking of affluence, comfort, and material possessions as blessings... Jesus tells us they can be dangerous obstacles." This really hit home with me... how often do I think I've been blessed when I may be spending money on things I don't need instead of on things somebody does need!? Too often honestly. Even though I'm not working and we already live on William's salary, we live in complete luxury when compared to the rest of the world. Platt states that we live in the top 15% of the world's wealth... and trust me, we don't have a huge budget. We already live without things, but we could do more. I've come to a place where I'm content with our house, all 1100 square feet of it. We could be here another 5-10 years with two children and still be okay. Our society might not think so, but I'm not living to impress them.
Another thing I struggle with is always wanting to make more money so that I can do things like crafts, decorate my house, etc. We have the necessaties, and while it's not wrong to want to do these things, I focus too much on how I could use the money for me. Why not babysit and give the money to the poor... that idea hurts me big time and I'll admit it.
I also struggle with wanting to save money. This can be as sinful as spending money on stuff. If it's in our savings account, I feel like it's "untouchable". That is unless we need a car or a dishwasher or something to improve our living style. We aren't entrusted with God's money to hoard it up. I know we are to save and that we need to, but there just might be a time with God calls us to dip into that fund for Him. Who better to trust our next car or children's college education to than God??
Now, once again this has been quite the post. I hope and pray that you will hold me accountable to giving to the needy. I also hope you might be inspired as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'll hold you accountable... :) You hold me accountable!
ReplyDeleteVery convicting. Keep me posted.
ReplyDeletei love this post. I think how you spend your money can be a huge witness for others...but talk about a DAILY struggle. Jesus tells us "less" while the world is SHOUTING "more." Let me know when you finish that book;)
ReplyDelete