Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's Aspirations

I rarely, if ever, make a New Year's Resolution... I know myself well enough to know I most likely won't follow through.  I have however come up with a few "aspirations" for the new year and one actual goal that I plan to see through.

For starters, my New's Years Resolution is to pray about any decisions before making them.  I mentioned that the Duggar's book was encouraging in this aspect and it really made me reflect on whether I do this as much as a should.  Looking back I can see areas in which I should have done more praying/listening to God than I did.  I was conficted about this just yesterday while shopping.  I found Just Dance 2 on sale for $30 and I hadn't bought anything "fun" with my Christmas money thus far (however I am excited to get my steam mop, but in no way is that a "fun" gift!).  After getting it I started thinking that I hadn't really asked the Lord to show me how to spend this money and just b/c it was a gift doesn't mean it isn't still His money.  So as of now, the game is sitting in my house unwrapped until I either have a peace about keeping it or feel the need to return it.  I know this might sound silly, but it is something i have been conficted about lately.  A big part of me looks foward to seeing how God will answer prayers about when it's time to buy a new house or car and even the small things.  And I will share His answers with you when the times(s) come!

My other goals for this year include:

1)  Planning a month's worth of meals at the end of each previous month.  I love not having to think about what I'm going to cook for supper that night and knowing I have the ingredients I need already.  It will also help to save more money - I hope!  It also helps if William is cooking and he can pick something that is on the list... ;)

2)  This may be TMI, but to breastfeed/pump for a year.  This is something I have started praying about b/c I really want to do it, both for the health reasons and budget reasons.

3)  Be more thrifty.  This includes cutting the cable this month, learning more about local thrift stores, consignment sales, etc..., and depending on God to provide the things we need.  I also want to learn how to better use my sewing machine and be able to say I made some of my daughter's clothing... or at least added something to it!

4)  To blog more often.  I want to do more sharing things like recipes or projects b/c I know I like it when others share an easy and cheap recipe/project that I can do.  I also know that come the end of April we won't be short of pictures to share with you :).  I know I'll be busy, but I think it will be so neat for Abby Ruth and other children we have to look back and read their mom's blog.  I'd love to read a journal or such from my mom of when she was awaiting our arrivals and afterwards.  Therefore, I need to be printing or making a book of my blog... I have this fear of it disappearing into space! 

I think that is it for now!

5 comments:

  1. I need to be journaling about my pregnancy, too, I was much better about it with Greyson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan our meals in advance and batch cook (cook a bunch and stick it in the freezer for later) which are both BIG money savers. A few good resourcesI think you'd like for meal and planning and batch cooking are freezehappy.com and http://onceamonthmom.com. Just FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger has an easy way to make your blog into a book: http://blog2print.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html

    And, I plan our meals out for each week, which is a huge help on days when Seth has to start dinner. He's got a guide and a recipe that's easily accessible, and he's assured that all the ingredients needed are already at the house. It works so well for our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say, "I love you"! Okay, I really want to do the once a month thing, too. I used to do it, and it is so helpful, both financially AND health-wise. You make better food choices. Blog--me, too. That's one of my desires, too! And, mostly recipes and things like that b/c so many of my friends are asking for them. You also need to include your couponing for those of us who feel guilty about that, but don't have the discipline/energy/time (that's justification!) to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals! I especially love your goals for breastfeeding. It takes a lot of dedication in the beginning, but gets much easier quickly. It's my favorite part of being a mom. If you ever need help/info/support with this one, let me know.

    ReplyDelete